IOK DEBATE SOCIETY IS NOW OPEN TO ALL MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS
IOK is pleased to announce that all middle school students, whether attending full-time school at IOK or not, are welcomed and encouraged to join the IOK Debate Society this season.
We are proud to announce that our Debate Society has won 3rd place in overall wins at the OCDL North February 2015 Tournament. IOK debaters have also won numerous team and speaker awards over the past two academic years.
Thursday, September 1st, 2016
The Debate Society at IOK focuses on developing advanced speaking skills and high level thinking. Building on the skill sets students are taught in English classes, debaters learn how to formulate nuanced arguments, research effectively, and work as a team to create winning proposition and opposition arguments. As part of the Orange County Debate League (OCDL), students have the opportunity to debate in different local tournaments.
The instruction will help develop the following skills:
- Critical Thinking
- Reading comprehension
- Debate format (including AREI guidelines)
- Analysis (oral and written)
- Public speaking & debating
IOK Debate Society fosters confidence in public speaking through research and analysis, and teaches tolerance of differing opinions and viewpoints. The curriculum has been designed to sharpen reading, writing, and critical thinking skills. Debate Society is offered at IOK for students in grades 5 to 8.
- We will officially begin the debate season with a parent-student orientation on Thursday, September 1, 2016 from 3:30pm to 4:30pm.
- Regular practice sessions will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays after school starting from Tuesday, September 6, 2016.
- Tuition for non-IOK students will be $150/student per month from Sept. 2016-May 2017
- The debate season will officially end in May 2017.